Transition to Year 7
The Kew High School transition program aims to facilitate a seamless move for students from the primary school to the secondary school setting.
Skilled and experienced staff, together with student mentors, provide a range of academic and social supports that promote student engagement and wellbeing, allowing students to step into their new environment feeling confident and ready to learn.
The transition program includes the following:
- Year 7 Student Ambassadors visit key primary schools in November and December each year to speak to Year 6 students about their transition to Kew High School.
- Parents of incoming students attend an orientation session where they are provided key details about transition and daily life at Kew High School.
- Key staff from Kew High School staff visit primary schools to speak to Year 6 teachers about the learning and wellbeing needs of incoming students.
- All Year 6 students attend an Orientation Day in early December to meet their Year 7 classes and teachers.
- Year 7 students commence their first day of secondary school one day before Years 8–11 students and have the school largely to themselves. They are supported by Year 7 Year Level Coordinators, the Leader of Junior School, Year 7 teachers and the Year 10 Peer Support students.
- Throughout Term 1, Year 10 students lead the Peer Support program, which assists Year 7 students in getting to know the school and their peers.
- During Term 1 the Year 7 Meet the Teachers Evening enables parents to meet their child’s teachers in an informal setting.
- Year 7 students attend a two-day Learning to Learn Program in Term 1, designed to assist them in developing the learning and study habits that they will need in secondary school.
- The Year 7 camp is held in early Term 1 and provides an important opportunity for students to get to know each other and to develop a wider circle of friends and connections.
- Year 7 students are in the same class groups for all subjects and participate in a comprehensive wellbeing program.